I’ve always had trouble sleeping. My first memory of this is
nap time as a 4 and 5 year old. My sister and I had bunk beds. Since I was the
older of us, I got the bottom bunk. I remember laying there for what seemed
hour after hour looking at the images of old newspaper clippings that was the
pattern on the material of the bottom of her mattress. I can still see the
images of old steam ships and train engines with newspaper type. I don’t
remember ever sleeping during naptime. I knew even then that it was safer to
keep quiet and wait for Mom to come “wake” us up. My little sister tried to
help me, telling me, “just close your eyes really tight and then you can see
movies in your head.” She got so frustrated with me when I couldn’t see the
movies in my head.
In college, my hours sleeping during the night had dwindled
to 4 or 5. Which was fine, I was up late and had to be up early for class. Soon
after that my son was born and I never knew how long I could sleep straight
through.
I normally get 3 or 4 hours of sleep now. I’m used to it.
Some doctors have asked if I get tired during the day or take naps. My answer
is always, “no. I don’t get tired and I don’t nap”.
That just doesn’t seem right.
A few years ago, during a doctor’s visit we touched on my
sleeping habit/problem. This doctor wanted me to try something called Ambien.
Wow! When I took a 10mg Ambien, I slept 8 hours straight! No
tossing, turning, flipping the pillow, trip to the bathroom or turning on the
TV after giving up on going back to sleep. It was my miracle drug!
I’ve talked to people that have experienced very strange
things when taking Ambien. Raiding the refrigerator in the middle of the night
or sleepwalking then waking up in strange places like the living room or out by
their pools. I had no experiences like that.
Last year, I started reading a book by Stephen King called “From
A Buick 8”. I was also walking in a park at the time, so I purchased the audio
book to get a constant stream of Stephen King no matter what I was doing.
I mentioned that I watch TV at night when I can’t sleep.
This has become a lot easier now with my iPad and Netflix. My iPad is right by
me and will shut off automatically after a period of time. I don’t have to set
the sleep timer on my TV anymore!
One morning I woke up, and as usual, I check my email. That
morning, I received an email from Amazon.com thanking me for my purchase of “From
A Buick 8” for my kindle app.
I don’t remember logging on to amazon.com let alone browsing
for that book and then buying it!
Thank you, Ambien!

No comments:
Post a Comment