Sunday, January 27, 2013

Church - unexpected place of adrenaline rush!

I attend a small community church when I can - it's not as often as I'd like but I always enjoy being there. It's a church that I've been involved with off and on since I was in the third grade when my grandparents moved to Sugar Grove. During the summers, my sister and I would attend vacation bible school there, various get-togethers and other events.

I remember at first, the outhouses just outside incase the need came about. Those are the first outhouses that I remember seeing (and using).

Over the years, the church has gone through it's share of age, wear and tear, vandalism and effects of weather damage. It's been rebuilt, added to and modernized! The outhouses have been upgraded to indoor plumbing, thankfully!

Which brings me to today's experience at the Sugar Grove Assembly of God....

Right after Sunday School, I had to visit the powder room, which is inside one of the Sunday School classrooms. Small church, small restroom, no sound privacy. I finish and flush, wash my hands and notice that water is filling up in the bowl. I watch it, holding my breath, "oh God, please let it go down, please let it go down...." I'm praying, in the bathroom at church. I'm sure Brother Tom would have been proud. (they could probably hear me outside!)

Still filling up the bowl. I notice the plunger next to the stool, and grab it. "Please don't let it overflow -" I'm nearly chanting this to myself, rhythmically.

Of course, the bottom of the bowl isn't exactly smooth so the plunger didn't form a good seal, and was almost useless. I tried to improvise.

By this time, I realize that the water is still flowing from the tank. That should have stopped minutes ago. I put the plunger down, and remove the tank lid. Sure enough, the flapper is still all the way up. I force that down ... and go back to plunging, or going through the motion of plunging.

"Dear God, please don't let this overflow ..." the water stopped rising, the water filled in the tank and shut off, and I breathed a small sigh of relief. I plunge a bit more and heard gurgling and "whew". Disaster thwarted!

I wash my hands again, straighten myself up, replace the tank lid and step outside like nothing went wrong.

Did I mention this was a small church? I think I missed the offering, but all was quiet and at a pause until I took my seat.

They were waiting for me .... hilarious!

So glad for my time put in at Wiggins Hardware! It's come to my rescue countless times!

No comments:

Post a Comment