A long time ago, I lived on a little island called Maui. I'd lived there a while and I missed things from home. Some foods and other things available in stores on the mainland that weren't in Hawaii. There were weird things to get used to, such as, being able to order Spam and rice at McDonald's with your Big Breakfast. WEIRD!
I'd gotten a bit homesick - it was worse around the holidays. I missed the Christmas Eve parties with family and the snack food I loved.
One Christmas, I'd gotten box from my grandmother. I opened the wrapping and it was a Cracker Barrel box. I just KNEW it would have crackers, cheese and sausage! I couldn't wait! My mouth was watering as I opened the box.
I felt like Ralphie opening the bunny suit - inside the box was a Christmas tree. Don't get me wrong! It was beautiful, but it wasn't crackers and cheese.
I told G'ma later about my disappointment. Since then at Christmas, I get a pretty good supply of sausage, crackers and cheese! I must have been REAL good this year, I also got a jar of spicy mustard and a spreader! WOOO HOOO!
THANK YOU, GRANDMA!

No comments:
Post a Comment