Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Do you know who your customers are?

I don't!

I find myself treating them all the same. If they look like they can take a bit of teasing, I do it. I learned a long time ago working in a small town hardware store, that most people like the person that's helping them to show a little personality, talk and joke around. Of course, there are the few customers that are there for what they need and nothing extra. I admit to being that customer many times myself.

Today, I was extremely busy. More so than I usually complain about. Normally, when I am that busy, my sense of humor goes and hides under a desk where it's safe, but today I felt feisty.

I was finishing a transaction with one customer and we're chatting while the computer communicates with the satellite and that info bounces off whatever it bounces off and then finally comes home, then we wait for the receipt to print. While this is all taking place, Customer #2 followed by 3 other people move in behind Customer #1. Neither of these customers know about Customer #3 who dropped off things and was walking around the store waiting for me to finish.

Customer #2 says loudly, "Hi, Chris! I need some copies!"
This shocked me because I am obviously not finished with Customer #1, so I look at Customer #2 and say, "I'll be right with you as soon as I finish with this customer." I get a smile and nod, Customer #2 turns to the pack and continues talking. Every member of the pack is wearing a ball cap with a specific company logo on it, so I figured out they were all together.

Customer #1 and I exchange some raised eyebrow expressions and a giggle.

Finally, I give Customer #2 my attention, after I work on some of Customer #3's papers.

Okay, back to Customer #2 - "What can I do for you?"
blah blah blah - needs 50 copies stapled - yeah, okay, "these originals look like they've been under the seat in your car. Do you want me to try to make them look better or are you okay with this?"

I get a shocked look and she turns to her group and says, "why do I always get a hard time in Fort Smith?" She then tells me she's going to email a file and needs prints of that.

I kid around with her some more and she says, "why am I getting such a hard time?"

"I don't treat all my customers this way, only those that like it."
"How do you know I like it?"
"You're laughing and you haven't asked for my manager or the phone number for the corporate office."
That got a laugh and instantly we're good friends.

I read the email that has the file I need to print ...

The signature is
Person's Name
Director of Area Operations

I laughed to myself and went to make more small talk while the copies were running. She asks if I know anyone looking for a job. I let her know that I'll send people her way if they ask. She turns to the pack and sends them away, turns back to me and says, "How do I get you to work for me?"

Not gonna happen - but getting the offer was kinda cool!
Lower pay, terrible hours and I really am not interested in working for that company. 


No comments:

Post a Comment